Sorry, you need to enable JavaScript to visit this website.
Time to read
1 minute
Read so far

Man’s body found in burning pickup

Posted in:
  • Wilfredo Cabello
    Wilfredo Cabello

The body of a man found Saturday night in the Lakehills area wrapped in a gasoline-soaked tarp and set on fire in the bed of a pickup has been identified as a 37-year-old man from San Antonio whose family had reported him missing a day before the body was found.

Bandera County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy Matt King said the body found in the bed of a pickup parked on the side of Pebble Beach Road near Medina Lake at about 10:30 p.m. on Saturday, Nov. 16, has been identified as Wilfredo Cabello of San Antonio.

The body was not discovered until firefighters with the Medina Lake Volunteer Fire Department put out the fire that had been reported by a passing motorist and found the body covered in the tarp.

King said investigators also determined that Cabello had been shot twice, once in the torso and another time in the head. An autopsy on the body had not been completed by Monday, Nov. 18, so authorities were not certain how he died.

The truck the body was discovered in had no license plates on it, but it was registered to someone from Colorado, King said. Authorities were trying to locate the vehicle’s owner to find out more about where it had been before Saturday.

King said it was possible that Cabello was killed in San Antonio or somewhere else and brought to Bandera County for disposal.

The San Antonio Police Department was working with the sheriff’s department and the Texas Rangers in investigating the death.

Media reports in San Antonio said Cabello worked as a painter and was last seen alive on Friday, Nov. 15, when he reported to a residence in the 1200 block of West French Place north of downtown San Antonio expecting to give an estimate on a job.

A person who lives near the French Place residence said he heard gunshots about 7:50 p.m. on Friday, according to a report by News4SA.

The report said San Antonio police were called to the residence and found evidence of foul play inside but no sign of Cabello.

The death is the second one involving a San Antonio man found dead in Bandera County since Aug. 24.

On that day, the body of 26-year-old Frank Lara, who had been missing from San Antonio for about two months, was found in a field near the 100 block of Privilege Creek.

San Antonio Police took the lead in that investigation after authorities developed evidence to suggest Lara had died in San Antonio and his body taken to Bandera County for disposal.