The Bandera Bulletin

default avatar
Welcome to the site! Login or Signup below.
|
||
Logout|My Dashboard

World’s Fastest Parade in Tarpley this Sunday

Print
Font Size:
Default font size
Larger font size

Posted: Thursday, August 29, 2013 10:17 am | Updated: 3:48 pm, Thu Aug 29, 2013.

Come to Tarpley Sunday, Sept. 1 to catch the “World's Fastest Parade.” The event takes place on FM 470 at 11 a.m., ending at the Tarpley Volunteer Fire Department, and kicks off their annual fundraiser.

As soon as the parade is over, about 11:30 a.m., a barbeque dinner will be served on the premises of the fire station. It includes all the trimmings and delicious homemade desserts for $9 per plate. Children under six years will eat free. Beer will be available for a small donation.

During the meal, the silent auction will commence and continue until 12:30 p.m. There are many goodies on which to bid. For the men, there is hardware in the form of nuts, bolts, all kinds of tools and yard tools. For the ladies, there are household items such as serving trays, artful gourds, and antique glassware. For all who like to eat, there are homemade jams and jellies. There are other items, too numerous to list.

At 1 p.m., the live auction bidding begins. There will be a great deal of excitement as there are some choice items to be sold.

The biggest item in the live auction is the designer wedding dress. It is a new, size six, vintage 1980 Jessica McClintock dress, ivory linen with lace beading and pearl buttons. It is perfect for a young bride-to-be.

Other live auction items include a large old cast iron caldron, an old window with original glass from the old school house, a ladies weekend bag by Vera Bradley, a Waterford Chrystal knife and server set, a gentleman's knife, 16 large round bales of coastal hay and a cooking class for four by Naylene Dillingham.

The whole event will end around 4:30 or 5:00 p.m. Before everyone bids “adios,” the fire department will draw for the raffle prizes.

The raffle prizes are definitely the cream of the crop. The prizes are a 32-inch Kitchen Aid 65,000 BTU six-burner gas grill and $200 gift certificate to Daddy Jim's Quality Meats in Bandera, and a Ruger Gunsite Scout Rifle 308 caliber. They also offer a Day Spa Package at a Bandera area spa, a Savage Axis XP Camo 7mm-08 Remington rifle, a chain saw donated by Tripp's Tires, and a $200 gift certificate to the Cowboy Store in Bandera.

On a historical note, this event used to be called “The Homecoming.” It started well before memory and continued until the 1940s. At time, the boll weevil came and decimated the cotton crops. People left and today Tarpley is a small town of 80-90 souls. However, many of those who remember come back each year.

Today, the event serves as a time to reconnect, reminisce and support the Tarpley Volunteer Fire Department. Of all the funds raised, 90 per cent goes to the fire department for maintenance, equipment and training. The other 10 percent goes to the upkeep of the old school house, built in 1924, lovingly restored, and now serving as a community center for the area.

For more information, contact Curtis Kosub at 830-562-3447.

  • Discuss

Welcome to the discussion.

1 comment:

  • negruvoda posted at 8:41 am on Wed, Nov 5, 2014.

    negruvoda Posts: 3

    Many people won't like the idea of seeing the food laid out on several tables. People like to eat fresh fruits and vegetable and hot meals. If you can, you should put the fruit separately in sealed bags using a heat sealer to please everybody.